Happy end of 2014! It's been a great year musically, and I have stayed as obsessed as ever. As always, in 2014 I couldn't stand the thought that I was missing out on some amazing sound that I had yet to hear. While I did consume a huge amount of music this year, it's pretty clear there's thousands of albums I didn't listen to. So if I missed something important, don't hate, educate. I am always on the search for the latest and greatest.
This year I wanted to make a mix that says something about me, about 2014, and mostly about the great songs that got me through the year. I think I succeeded.
- Protomartyr - Maidenhead
- Ex Hex - Don't Wanna Lose
- Tove Lo - Over
- Run The Jewels - Close Your Eyes (And Count To Fuck) (Website)
- Bleachers - You're Still a Mystery
- Future Island - A Dream of You and Me
- Kelis - Breakfast
- Against Me! - True Trans Soul Rebel
- Mac DeMarco - Brother
- Sia - Hostage
- Mz. 007 - Important
- The War On Drugs - Burning
- Foster The People - Coming of Age
- The Preachers - Is This How You Feel?
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- Empires - How Good Does It Feel
- La Roux - Uptight Downtown
- Betty Who - Heartbreak Dream
You might notice a slight penchant for well constructed pop songs, great melodies, and meaningful lyrics. That's just my thing. I went ahead and added links to the videos or songs where I could. Most of these come from my favorite albums of the year. Really my most favorites are the 2014 releases from Ex Hex, Bleachers, Protomartyr, Run The Jewels, The Preachers, La Roux, Betty Who, Kelis, Sia, Ty Segall, and Against Me!. Honorable mentions to Temples, Allah-Las, and Alt J who put out a great album this year that didn't make it on to the list.