Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson: The Music Lives On

Love him or hate him, you can't deny the man could make music. This post is originally from my now defunct music blog, but since Michael Jackson passed on this Thursday, I wanted to re-post it so that everyone can get a chance to check out this excellent tribute to the King of Pop.

Original Post:
It's true. Rhymefest loves Michael Jackson. He's his biggest fan. He says so himself in his tribute to the man behind the mask, Man In The Mirror. Now I like to poke fun at Michael Jackson as much as the next guy, and don't get me wrong, there is plenty of fun being poked in this album, but it's all out of the respect that Rhymefest has for someone who was obviously a big influence in his own life.

I didn't know what to expect from this album. I did notice that it was produced by Mark Ronson, the man at least partially responsible for the fame of acts like Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse, so my expectations climbed a bit. What I didn't know is that I was in for a heartfelt, fun, and sometimes hilarious mix tape. I became of fan of Rhymefest instantly.

Now the best part is that he's not making a dime off this, which explains why he gets away with using Michael Jackson's voice and likeness. Any man doing this work strictly for the love of it is okay in my book. Check out this album, (go here to download it all for FREE) and be sure to listen to the last track "Man in the Mirror," the original song is a classic, and Rhymefest's take updates it and brings it to a new level.

No comments: